Eberhart Mansion

Home

Eberhart History

Austin & Shambleau

Symphony Showhouse

Historic Photos

Location

Virtual Tour

 

 

The Eberhart Mansion

Eberhart Mansion - Main HouseOne of the South Bend area's finest historic homes, the private residence known as the Eberhart Mansion is rich in Mishawaka history and tradition.

The home is located on what was once part of the Miami Country Club in Mishawaka. Industrialist Frederick George Eberhart purchased the entire golf course in the 1920s, donating the course to the city but keeping a choice plot of land for his own use. The property he retained overlooked the golf course and contained the original clubhouse. To build his new residence, Eberhart commissioned the prominent architectural firm, Austin & Shambleau. The home was designed in the Colonial Revival style and was built using bricks fired specially for the project by the Old Virginia Brick company in Salem, Virginia. In the most recent city survey of historic sites and structures, the home was awarded the highest level of historic significance, "outstanding."

Designed in 1929 and occupied in 1931, the Eberhart Mansion has had an interesting history. After the Eberharts, an auto dealer, Freeman Yeager, occupied the home. In the 1960s, School City of Mishawaka purchased the property and, for a period of years, used it as their administration building. In 1984, the property was sold to developer Jack Hickey, who built new homes on the available acreage and allowed the property to be used as the 1985 South Bend Symphony Show House.