Eberhart Mansion

Home

Eberhart History

Austin & Shambleau

Symphony Showhouse

Historic Photos

Location

Virtual Tour

 

 

Frederick George Eberhart

Frederick George Eberhart

Eberhart History

The land and home of the beautiful Eberhart Estate has a rich and varied history. The first recorded building on the site was the Miami Country Club. Established in 1916. the club was the site of many elegant social affairs until it closed in the late 1920s.

Ball Band History

F. G. Eberhart

Mishawaka School City

In 1929, Frederick and Bertha Eberhart bought the property and donated most of it to the City of Mishawaka, which built the Eberhart Golf Course in their memory. On the remaining portion. they built the 9.100-square-foot Georgian Revival style mansion. The lower level of the home is the former Miami Country Club Clubhouse, and much of that atmosphere is still a part of the decor. Indeed, many features of the home remain unchanged from those times: the panelling in the library: the mural in the dining room: the porcelain fixtures in the kitchen and in most of the bathrooms: the marble floors in the foyer, and woodwork detailing.

The Eberharts were residents of Mishawaka their entire lives. Frederick was born to Adolphus and Sara Eberhart and Bertha was the daughter of William and Belle Judkins. Frederick and Bertha were married June 14. 1888. They had three daughters, Eudora, who died in infancy. Donna Bell who married George Walter Blair. and Carol Elisabeth, who married Samuel Dale Hillier.

Frederick Eberhart was a manufacturer and banker. He studied business at the University of Kentucky, and in the summer months worked on his father's 500-acre farm, in his father's flour mill, and at the Mishawaka Woolen Manufacturing Company, which is now Uniroyal. Upon graduation from college. Frederick entered the service of the woolen company permanently, becoming foreman of the knitting mill. In 1890, he was made vice president; in 1908 he was general superintendent; and from 1930 until his death in 1933. Eberhart was chairman of the board.

Throughout his life, Eberhart was concerned with the welfare of his company and his community. Eberhart was a member of the Mishawaka Board of Public Works and Public Safety; a trustee of the South Bend YMCA: a member of the advisory board of the Children's Aid Society and the Susie Beiger home for elderly women; a member of the Sons of the American Revolution, the Indiana Society of Chicago, the Izaak Walton League of America, the Mishawaka Chamber of Commerce, the Knife and Fork Club, The Rotary Club, the Fellowship Club, and organizer and director of three Mishawaka banks. He donated the land on which the Carnegie Public Library was built and land for the Eberhart Golf Course. He was one of the organizers of the First Church of Christian Science in South Bend, and in memory of their parents, he and his two brothers and sister built the First Methodist Church of Mishawaka.

Bertha Judkins Eberhart also came from a family of Mishawaka businessmen. Her grandfather operated the S. H. Judkins and Sons Grocery and Provisions Store. Her father. William, worked with his father until 1886. when he left the grocery business and turned his attention to the insurance and coal businesses. She was one of four children born to William and Belle Judkins. Although she was left almost totally deaf from measles in her early childhood. she was not deterred from being involved in the community she so dearly loved. She loved to paint and garden, and won gardening awards as one of the organizers of the Mishawaka Garden Club.

(From South Bend Symphony Showhouse brochure.)